bind9 Numerous recent - error (FORMERR) resolving 'dns3.registrar-servers.com/AAAA/IN'

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu May 28 04:26:51 UTC 2015

On 05/26/2015 05:31 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Well 208.67.220.220 returns the wrong SOA record which is why you
> are getting the message.  For that matter why are you talking to
> 208.67.220.220 in the first place?  It is not normally involved in
> resolving dns2.registrar-servers.com.

Mark,

   Thank you. If I recall correctly, 208.67.220.220 was a DNS that came from a
test of list of public DNS IPs several years ago using dig to test 'Query times'
in a script that parsed and computed min, max and avg, and produced a sorted
list. That particular IP ended up in my forwarders list which is the reason
behind the errors.

   Checking recent publication of the public DNS server lists, the opendns
address of 208.67.220.220 is no longer listed. (sigh...) The current best
performers (throwing out the nonworking and china based IPs) from:

http://portforward.com/networking/dns.htm
http://public-dns.tk/nameserver/us.html

with response times between 38-48 msec, seem to be:

204.97.212.10
173.232.2.245
4.2.2.6
173.232.2.249
173.232.2.236
68.87.66.196
204.11.64.239

   Let's hope this list stays working for another few years.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.