auth-nxdomain yes

Gordon Freeman wily_one2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 15 22:17:34 UTC 2015

option: auth-nxdomain

I see the default for this is no, but what exactly are the ramifications of setting this to yes?

I have a tiered architecture for name servers, where down-level servers do forwarding for unknown domains.  Will setting auth-nxdomain to yes prevent continual
forwarding of queries of non-existent domain names?

I'm hoping the answer is yes, so that once an NXDOMAIN response is received by the name server, it will not forward repeated queries for that same name, at least for as long as the negative cache TTL.  Thanks.