Root hints

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 6 18:04:20 UTC 2015

Am 06.10.2015 um 19:42 schrieb Jack Tavares:
> Since the H root server IP address will be changing I have a question:
> http://h.root-servers.org/renumber.html
>
> how does bind get the root servers these days?
> I think the code includes a set.

yes, a hardcoded fallback

> Is there a provision to query a known address to get an update?

AFAIK no

> (I also know that I can define a hints file locally)

i am using a script like below to deploy the hint-files
well, not terrible happy about non-TLS at the moment

[root at buildserver:~]$ cat /buildserver/distribute-dns-root-zones.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
if wget --quiet ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.cache
--output-document=/var/named/chroot/var/named/named.ca; then
  cat /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.ca | grep "last update"
  chmod 0644 /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.ca
  ** rsync to nameservers **
fi