SRV Request to DNS

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue Oct 13 11:58:29 UTC 2015

On Oct 5, 2015, at 11:51 PM, Harshith Mulky <harshith.mulky at outlook.com> wrote:
> Let us say we are having a FQDN and we need to Resolve it. It goes through the procedure of determining the IP and Port using NAPTR/SRV/A query mechanisms
>
> The question I have is if I have a FQDN with a Port Number already determined, will it go through the Procedure of NAPTR/SRV/A query (or) simply do a A query (or) Is this left to the client to apply the Logic?

The client must supply the logic. DNS is conceptually a simple database service — ask a question, get an answer. The logic of using NAPTR records, SRV records, A records, AAAA records, and CNAME records is mostly handled by the client. (CNAME and DNAME records are the primary exception, triggering extra processing on the recursive name server.)

Chris