RPZ - override TXT records

Wolfgang Riedel wolfgang at cisco.com
Tue Oct 13 22:14:32 UTC 2015

Hi Mukund,
Hi John,

I would need a way to insert oder override a TXT record while still don’t touch all other records and let then pass through in a transparent way.

So just having this would be best for my use-case but this removes all other RR.
	www.cisco.com TXT   "CISCO-CLS=app-name:HTTP|app-class:TD”

As I have learned this is not going to work:
www.cisco.com CNAME rpz-passthru.
www.cisco.com TXT   "CISCO-CLS=app-name:HTTP|app-class:TD”

and I need to take this path:
wolfgang.dns-as.org A       193.34.28.108
wolfgang.dns-as.org TXT     "CISCO-CLS=app-name:RPZ|app-class:TD”

If the latter is the only solution which can’t scale as this could change without me getting a notice my approach will not work ;-((
If we agree that I am not doing something wrong and this seems to be a corner case does this implies the current BIND RPZ behavior works as designed or is more like a bug?

Any other idea how this could be solved or do I need to write a script running dig to constantly update the A record inside my RPZ zone file to keep it current?

Many thanks,
Wolfgang