Why two lookups for a CNAME?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Oct 21 21:01:17 UTC 2015

To prevent cache poisoning via cnames.  It it simpler to always
lookup the target of the cname that to figure out if we would
accepted the following data.

server A has zones foo.example and bar.example configured
server B has zone bar.example configured

bar.example is only delegated to server B of the two server above.

The is a cname from www.foo.example -> www.bar.example

Server A return a complete answer but the www.bar.example data is
from the wrong zone instance.  This happens accidentally in real
life.

Mark

In message <1401468033.15948.1445459552099.JavaMail.vpopmail at atl4oxapp02pod1.mg