Why two lookups for a CNAME?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Oct 22 15:37:23 UTC 2015

Am 22.10.2015 um 17:30 schrieb Steve Arntzen:
> The reason is, when our Bind server is communicating over a satellite
> link with a 600 ms round trip time per transaction, the delay becomes
> noticeable (>1.2 seconds for a single CNAME resolution).  Add to that,
> some of the CNAMES have short TTLs, so this happens periodically.

since in a normal environment that don't matter consider in case of a
caching-only nameserver in such an environment using unbound instead of
named because it supports "cache-min-ttl" which is also strongly
recommended on a inbound mailserver using RBL's

cache-min-ttl: 600
cache-max-ttl: 10800

P.S.: please don't top-post with full-quotes (TOFU)

--

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm