A tale of two nameservers - resolution problems

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 1 14:38:38 UTC 2015

Am 01.09.2015 um 16:28 schrieb John Miller:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/01/2015 09:20 AM, John Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> If you check pcap, logs, etc., is the server's following delegation
>>> for 0.centos.pool.ntp.org? Where do outbound packets stop?
>>

>> I don't believe this and I have some serious problems.
>>
>> Part of my challenge is I am running the new server on an armv7 board that
>> does not have a rtc.  So when the system boots, the time is jan 1 1970.  The
>> first thing you want to run is ntp to set the time, but requires named
>> running and resolving.
>>
>> For the 'fun' of it, I used 'date' to set the time to now, and then no
>> problem resolving 0.centos.pool.ntp.org.  So there is something about that
>> resolution that does not like the early date.
>>
>> So I am caught in a time bind here!
>>
>> Is there anyway to get bind not to be particular about system time at first?
>

> Hopefully this isn't a production server... rtc's kind of important
> ;-)  I'll ditto here and say: static /etc/hosts entries or static IPs
> in ntp.conf

additionally every network normally should have it's own ntpd using the
public pool and act as source for all other machines, just because to be
nice too the "pool.ntp.org" and hence any other box needs just an IP
address for doing "ntpdate xx.xx.xx.xx" *before* it's own ntpd starts

so you just need to make sure the correct order

* ntpdate xx.xx.xx.xx
* start ntpd
* start named