Solved - Re: A tale of two nameservers - resolution problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Sep 3 10:14:36 UTC 2015

> On 01.09.15 13:36, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> On the Fedora-arm list I was told about systemd-timesyncd.
>>
>> Much better for these systems than chronyd which is suppose to be the
>> replacement for ntpdate...
>
> chrony is replacement for ntpd (not ntpdate!) on systems that are not
> always
> online.
> "has been hooked up with networkd to only operate when network
> connectivity
>           is available"
>
> according to:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019537.html
>
> I find that a bit different and i believe that chronyd is better for
> systems
> that are often offline, although it doesn't fix the issue with boards
> without RTC.

Newer version has added the -s option specifically for these systems.

On Fedora (and soon RHEL/Centos): /etc/sysconfig/chronyd
OPTIONS="-s"

Also: /etc/chrony.conf
#rtcsync
rtcdevice /dev/nonexist

This is useful if your home network nameserver is not adequately
protected from power outages and comes back up before the Internet
connection.  A few other interesting edge cases.