Multiple A and PTR and the "main" ones?

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Sep 11 14:33:22 UTC 2015

Actually some mail servers DO check not only that a PTR exists but also that it is not "generic".

Every once in a while we get someone complaining because one of the big sites (Ebay?) refuses to accept their email due the "generic" (as defined by that site's policies) nature of our PTR.   We typically ignore that because we've never seen this complaint from other mail servers and no one has ever provided a business use for the one site that is complaining.

Other than that I've never seen any complaint about what the actual PTR is so I can't imagine why you'd need more than one for the same IP.    Just pick the one that helps identify you for anyone that cares to look at IPs vs names.