New IP for Auth Servers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 17 01:28:04 UTC 2015

In message <55FA109F.10500 at thelounge.net>, Reindl Harald writes:
> Am 17.09.2015 um 02:54 schrieb Mark Andrews:
> > This sort of of thing is *supposed* to be caught by the Registry
> > or by their proxy the Registrar.  Teresa, if you failed to receive
> > a notification that your glue records were wrong you should be
> > asking why you are paying good money for registry services that are
> > not being performed to agreed specifications.
> >
> > RFC 1034 and the requirements specified therein predate the assignment
> > of the registry role to the current registrar so there is no excuse
> > of "we didn't know we were required to check".
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > RFC 1034 4.2.2. Administrative considerations
> >
> > As the last installation step, the delegation NS RRs and glue RRs
> > necessary to make the delegation effective should be added to the parent
> > zone.  The administrators of both zones should insure that the NS and
> > glue RRs which mark both sides of the cut are consistent and remain so
>
> they where originally not wrong, the IP's changed and in that case you
> need to inform the registry to change the GLUE records - how should they
> know and even if the ymonitor it - in what timeframe?

If it goes longer than a day then something is wrong.  It isn't
that hard to check every delegation NS RRset and every glue RRset
daily.  It isn't that hard to put those that are inconsistent onto
a list to perform a recheck the next day and if they are still
inconsistent send a email to the zone contacts.  As this is the
registry they should have valid contact details or the registrar
should and can act as their proxy.

> don't get me wrong but if you change the GLUE IP'S for a domain you need
> to coordinate that - been there once- forget that too in that case but i
> admit as it happened it was only my fault and nobody elses

And the point of having the registry check is to catch errors.  They
can then send email reminders.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC