BIND 9.10 also-notify syntax

greg.rabil at bt.com greg.rabil at bt.com
Wed Sep 23 14:37:23 UTC 2015

Hello BIND users,
According to the BIND 9.10.3 ARM, the syntax for 'also-notify' in the options section of the named.conf file is:

[ also-notify { ip_addr
[port ip_port] [dscp ip_dscp] [key keyname] ;
[ ip_addr [port ip_port] [dscp ip_dscp] [key keyname] ; ... ] };

However, specifying the optional 'dscp' keyword and integer value causes named to abort at startup.  My understanding is that the DSCP value is for *source* ports, whereas the syntax above indicates that the DSCP value goes with the *target* port of the notify.  Interestingly, the grammar for this option from the BIND 9.10.3 source is as follows:

Which corresponds to my understanding where the optional 'dscp' keyword and value would be associated with the source.

Can someone please confirm if the BIND 9.10 ARM documentation is wrong?

Thanks,
Greg Rabil
This email contains BT information which may be privileged or confidential. It is meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email above. Thank you. We monitor our email system and may record your emails.
BT Americas Inc. 415 Eagleview Blvd., Suite 112, Exton, PA 19341
BT Americas Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of British Telecommunications plc.