SRV Request to DNS

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Tue Sep 29 08:00:50 UTC 2015

On 29/09/2015 07:37, Harshith Mulky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a query
>
> Let us say we are having a FQDN and we need to Resolve it. It goes
> through the procedure of determining the IP and Port using NAPTR/SRV/A
> query mechanisms
>
> The question I have is if I have a FQDN with a Port Number already
> determined, will it go through the Procedure of NAPTR/SRV/A query (or)
> simply do a A query (or) Is this left to the client to apply the Logic?

NAPTR / SRV are most commonly used when all you have is a "domain name"
and you need to determine the hostname and port associated with a
particular service at that domain (e.g. a SIP server)

I would therefore expect that given a specific hostname and port that
those would be used directly, rather than using NAPTR / SRV.

Ray