g.root-servers.net not reachable anymore

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 14:03:17 UTC 2016

On Apr 18 2016, Dave Warren wrote:

>On 2016-04-14 03:02, 'Stephane Bortzmeyer' wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:55:04AM +0300,
>>   Daniel Dawalibi <daniel.dawalibi at idm.net.lb> wrote
>>   a message of 22 lines which said:
>>
>>> Do you think it is better to remove it from named.root?
>> Certainly not, your resolver removes it automatically from the list of
>> authoritative servers for the zone.
>
>Also, named will add it right back to the in-memory cache (the one that
>matters) since it will reach out to one of the hints servers to find the
>up to date list of root servers.
>
>The hints file is just a hint of how to find the roots, not an absolute
>list of root servers.

In any case, this was only(!) a 9.5 hour outage (2016-04-14 03:00-12:30 UTC).
Any kind of local manual configuration change would have been an inappropriate
response.

I think the only explanation we have seen so far is

https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2016-April/014765.html

which is fairly tight-lipped!

--
Chris Thompson