'succesful' nsupdate of remote server not persistent across nameserver restart?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Apr 26 19:22:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 2:34 PM Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 25 April 2016, <jasonsu at mail-central.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>> > It's not clear to me why one would want to destroy/rebuild the chroot
>> every
>> > time you restart the process.
>>
>> Well, here
>>
>> (1) Because I inherited it this way, and
>> (2) The notes' quoted examples did that too, and
>> (3) I'd not yet gotten any/good advice NOT to (security?)
>

> Unless you have a clear reason to do it (perhaps there's some security
> consideration I haven't thought of) it seems to me it's unnecessary
> complexity that would lead to problems just like this.

I think that some of the justifications for doing something like this is
similar to some of the justifications for running things in a container --
if an attacker does manage to break out of the process they will have a
much harder time persisting. Also, if I do something stupid I can just
restart the chroot / container and all of my stupid gets overwritten with a
known good version...

Not suggesting that chroot with something that overwrites all my changes is
a good idea, just explaining a justification I've heard a number of times...