Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Apr 27 15:51:01 UTC 2016

>> You would only be able to do this if you could put the CNAME record
>> in the parent domain, instead of delegating domain.com to your own
>> server.  But do any domain registrars support that option?
>
>And would the registry (here, Verisign) accept it? As far as I know,
>no.

This smells a lot like the bundled variant problem, in which you
register one name but get a bunch of lexically related names along
with it, and in some cases the related names are active.  For example,
if you register exámple.cat, you also get example.cat without the
accent.  Their implementation is terrible, a DNAME at the 2LD.

There's been a lot of discussion about how you might make this work
better, such as BNAME which is supposed to combine CNAME and DNAME.
There's better places to discuss this, of course, since I think we
can assume that should such features be standardized, BIND will
implement them.

R's,
John