bind 9.10.3-P4 listener exits unceremoniously - bug?

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Sat Apr 30 02:45:14 UTC 2016

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the response on this.

> Chroot has zero impact on this.  running with -u will but you can
> configure FreeBSD to allow the user named is running as to bind to
> port 53.

Yes, sorry about that.  That's what I meant to say :-)

>> explain why BIND stops listening on the loopback interface.
>
> It's because the interface goes away.  named listens to the routing
> socket and rescans the interfaces on changes.  The interface is
> going away and returning.

In poking at code (without a great deal of comprehension), it seemed
like that was certainly a reasonable explanation.  But if that was the
case, why would we lose only the TCP listener with the UDP listener
still bound to the loopback address?  It looked to me like the rescan
code would dump any listener bound to the interface.

Something I didn't mention in the earlier email is that we also have
an IPv6 anycast address assigned to the same loopback interface.  We
don't ever see any indication in the logs about the TCP/UDP ports associated
with the IPv6 address being dropped (though I have just realized that I never
even thought to look at these bindings when the IPv4 failures occurred).

Thanks again for the ack - much appreciated.

best regards,
mark