getting not authoritative with some notifies - Solved

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Aug 1 08:26:37 UTC 2016

On 31.07.16 18:00, Carl Byington wrote:
>Which customers will complain?

funny that you have answered below.

>Consider the case where you have customer A and ex-customer B, and you
>still have ex-customer B zones loaded in your master dns servers. The
>rest of the world properly sees the (new) zone content for ex-customer
>B.
>
>But when your existing customer A tries to send mail to ex-customer B,
>it may go to the wrong place or bounce. And that will only happen for
>your *other* customers. B thinks everything is ok, since they can
>receive mail from gmail, etc.

both customer A and ex-customer B will complain because of mail doesn't
working.
Happened multiple times.

>To properly serve your customers like A, you need to purge B's zones
>soon after they move, whether they notify you or not.

that's the whole problem - we have to watch and notify.

Separating authoritative and recursive DNS works much better.
we can put different measures on protecting each of those.
"They say when you play that M$ CD backward you can hear satanic messages."
"That's nothing. If you play it forward it will install Windows."