Question about dynamic IPv6-PTR-Generation

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Sat Aug 27 21:19:09 UTC 2016

Woodworth, John R wrote:
> I respectfully disagree.  I, although naturally biased, feel
> strongly our I-D is something which should have existed since the
> beginning of DNS.  It allows address space to be "tagged" and
> organized in a manner that just makes sense.
>
> Imagine if you will a class-A (borrowing from legacy terminology)
> being assigned to ARIN.  This block is "tagged" as ARIN's IP space
> in its entirety.  A smaller block gets assigned to ISP-1 and it
> gets "tagged" as ISP-1's, again in its entirety.

Those "tags" are intelligence *about* the address space, which is
primarily valuable to people other than the end user. (The end user
already knows that he or she has a particular type of connection from a
particular ISP in a particular place.)

The only benefit *to the end user* I can think of is that it might,
indirectly, somehow lead to vendors of proprietary geoip databases
having marginally more accurate intelligence, which might lead to
slightly better performance from CDNs, or search engine results not
being presented in the wrong language, or (insert your favorite geoip
foible here).

But I don't see how you get from those marginal benefits to: DNS should
have had regex-driven template engines (!) in authoritative nameservers
from the beginning.

--
Robert Edmonds