SPF and domain keys

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Aug 29 13:55:31 UTC 2016

Am 29.08.2016 um 15:49 schrieb project722:
> What about DKIM only? Can it be used instead of, or, as a "replacement"
> for SPF? For example mails are signed with DKIM from the SMTP servers,
> and the receiving servers are checking both SPF and DKIM. If the
> receiving server detected a missing SPF would it allow mail through if
> DKIM is present and valid? I suppose a lot of this depends on the SPF
> policies enforced on the receiving side

anything - not only a lot - depends on the policies of the receiver and
is different for every single destination server

in case of a spf-policyd there is no point to look at DKIM because SPF
is running long before smtp data and so a "-all" SPF_FAIL would reject
the message long before any headers containg DKIM are received at all