ISC Bind 9.11 and dyndb-ldap

ramkishore.b at gmail.com ramkishore.b at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:22:09 UTC 2016

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 7:23:34 AM UTC+5:30, Pallissard, Matt wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used LDAP as a dynamic back-end for bind 9.11?
>

> Unless I'm reading the release notes/new features pages incorrectly the bind-dyndb-ldap plugin has been rolled into ISC's official release and I shouldn't have to mess around with patching/building it from source.
>

> Yet I get the following errors upon startup;
>

> named[9937]: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
> named[9937]: /etc/named.conf:23: unknown option 'dynamic-db'
> named[9937]: loading configuration: failure
> named[9937]: exiting (due to fatal error)
> systemd[1]: named.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
>

> I'm using the package provided by Arch Linux and can provide the flags the bind package was compiled with if those are relevant.

> Matt Pallissard

Hello Matt Pallissard ,
Have you succeeded in using LDAP as a dynamic back-end for bind 9.11?

We are getting below errors while trying to make bind initialization with dyndb.

failed to lookup symbol dyndb_version in dyndb module '/usr/lib64/libldap.so': /usr/lib64/libldap.so: undefined symbol: dyndb_version
failed to dynamically load instance 'ldap_dyndb' driver '/usr/lib64/libldap.so': (null) (failure)
dynamic database 'ldap_dyndb' configuration failed: failure
exiting (due to fatal error)

The configuration details related to bind in named.conf file is as below.

dyndb ldap_dyndb "/usr/lib64/libldap.so" {
        uri "ldap://10.12.42.113";
        base "cn=dns, dc=example, dc=com";
};

We are using bind 9.11 version package in RHEL 7.2 and have few queries as below.
- We used the default RHEL "/usr/lib64/libldap.so" shared library in the above configuration. Is this correct? Is there any customized ldap.so file to be used for bind 9.11.
- Are there any specific configure options to be enabled while compiling bind ?

Any inputs are highly appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Kishore.