Using bind and ad blocking

Olliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Fri Feb 5 21:25:39 UTC 2016

Hey Grant,

On 30-01-16 03:39, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 01:47 PM, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
>> recently I updated to bind-9.10 and noticed that an illegal setup was
>> finally disallowed. Good things, but I (and others I'm sure) kind of
>> miss-used this ability. With the change however, I am now looking for
>> help on restoring similar behavior. Let me explain.
>
> I'm doing something similar with static zones on recent versions of Bind.
>
> What specific error(s) are you getting?
I have configured my ad zone as a 'regular' set of zones all pointing to
the same 'null' zone and the only problem I really have is that the
newer binds no longer allows you to to do that, point to the same null
zone as it is technically a writable zone.

> I would also suggest you take a look at Response Policy Zone, as I
> think it would be more efficient (less memory and faster) than loading
> potentially thousands of zones almost empty zones.
I have not heard of RPZ's before, but I'm looking into it as it may be
just what I need.