How to check slave zone freshness

Mon Feb 8 14:22:36 UTC 2016

Am 08.02.2016 um 14:59 schrieb Warren Kumari:
> The standard, compatible way to do this is simply to do a lookup for the
> SOA record and make sure that the serial number matches what you expect
> it to be / what is on the master. I'm not sure what monitoring tool you
> are using (or if you are writing your own), but most standard monitoring
> tools have such a script already written -
> e.g: https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Network-Protocols/DNS/checkexpire/details

This does not detect problems between the master and slave as long as
the master is not updated.

Further I can not fetch the serial easily from the slave as our slave is
a "bump in the wire" signer, so the SOA is the internal increased
"DNSSEC serial". So I would need to extract it from the local zone
files/journal.

> I believe that BIND also updates the mtime on the zone file when it does
> the check (not only when something changes):
> root at eric:/etc/namedb/slave# date
> Mon Feb  8 08:36:58 EST 2016
> root at eric:/etc/namedb/slave# ls -al superficialinjurymonkey.com
> <http://superficialinjurymonkey.com>*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 named named  714 Feb  8 03:51 superficialinjurymonkey.com
> <http://superficialinjurymonkey.com>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 1236 Feb  8 03:51 superficialinjurymonkey.com.jnl
> root at eric:/etc/namedb/slave#
>
> So, you should be able to just run 'ls' and see if the 'mtime' is larger
> than you expect...

This is an interesting hint and good starting point. Thanks.

Nevertheless, additionally I would to need to extract the SOA refresh
value for every zone to find out if a zone is not fresh any more.

Thanks
Klaus