How to check slave zone freshness

Wed Feb 10 08:36:34 UTC 2016

On 10.02.2016 09:27, Klaus Darilion wrote:

> On 08.02.2016 14:58, Tony Finch wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to monitor the freshness of my slaves zones. Is it somehow
>>> possible to extract the status of slave-zones from bind?
>>
>> If you are running 9.10 or later you can use `rndc zonestatus`.
>>
>> I have an older script which just looks at the timestamp of the zone
>> files; BIND bumps the timestamp whenever it successfully refreshes the
>> zone, even if it didn't need to transfer any changes.
>
> This does not work as expected. When bind checks the SOA on the master
> and detects a bigger serial, it tries to transfer the zone. Although the
> zone transfer fails, the timestamp gets updated. Thus, the zone looks
> fresh, but it isn't.

Another test: I changed the master IP on the slave to 1.1.1.1. Thus,
every SOA check and zone transfer will fail. Nevertheless bind updates
the zone file's timestamp every time it tries to transfer the zone.
Tested with 9.9.8-P3.

Thus, any other options with bind 9.9.8? (I have not managed to build
Debian packages for bind 9.10)

Thanks
Klaus