pre heat cache

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Thu Feb 18 18:59:57 UTC 2016

Tony Finch wrote:
> Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> > Funnily enough I recently wrote a tool to do this but I have been failing
> > to publish a blog article about it... Have a look at this:
> > https://git.csx.cam.ac.uk/x/ucs/ipreg/adns-masterfile.git
>
> Longer blurb now published at: http://fanf.livejournal.com/141030.html

A large proportion of records are only ever used "once, or a handful of
times", according to researchers:

  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~ynadji3/docs/pubs/dnsnoise-dsn2014.pdf

  ("DNS Noise: Measuring the Pervasiveness of Disposable Domains in
  Modern DNS Traffic")

If there were some way to only dump the most popular records from the
cache (say the top 1,000 or 10,000), it would probably speed up the
pre-heating process significantly and still warm the cache to an
acceptable degree.

Does rndc dumpdb dump the cache in DNS tree order, or could it be
convinced to follow the LRU order?

--
Robert Edmonds