A Zone Transfer Question

David Li dlipubkey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:01:18 UTC 2016

Hi John,

Here are the files. They are all internal zones without any references
to external name servers.

VM1:
====

named.conf:
-------------

#
# master (on VM1)
#
zone "rack1.com" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/db.rack1.com";
    allow-update { key rndc-key-rack1; }; # For DHCP dynamic update
};

#
# slave (on VM2)
#
zone "rack3.com" {
    type slave;
    file "/var/named/bak.rack3.com";
    masters { 10.4.3.101; }; #VM3 named IP
};

zone file:
/var/named/db.rack1.com
-------------------------

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 907200     ; 1 week 3 days 12 hours
rack1.com               IN SOA  dnsserver1.rack1.com. admin.rack1.com. (
                                8          ; serial
                                60         ; refresh (1 minute)
                                60         ; retry (1 minute)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                )
                        NS      dnsserver1.rack1.com.
$ORIGIN rack1.com.
dnsserver1              A       10.4.1.101

$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
node1                   A       10.4.1.11
                        TXT     "007ddd47ea6ddcd890312de89e37bde496"
node2                   A       10.4.1.12
                        TXT     "316a8d5e65fbd9f853df6d90ad1f24ecac"
node3                   A       10.4.1.13
                        TXT     "009da8179478f9169cb47965e53d19f134"

On VM2
=======

named.conf file
---------------

#
# Master
#
zone "rack3.com" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/db.rack3.com";
    allow-update { key rndc-key-rack3; }; # For DHCP update
};

#
# Slave
#
zone "rack1.com" {
    type slave;
    file "/var/named/bak.rack1.com";
    masters { 10.4.1.101; }; # VM1 named IP address
};

zone file:
----------

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 907200     ; 1 week 3 days 12 hours
rack3.com               IN SOA  dnsserver3.rack3.com. admin.rack3.com. (
                                2          ; serial
                                60      ; refresh ()
                                60       ; retry ()
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                )
                        NS      dnsserver3.rack3.com.
$ORIGIN rack3.com.
dnsserver3              A       10.4.3.101
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
node1                   A       10.4.3.11
                        TXT     "001395d7d2a164c7efde811584bbc470b9"