A Zone Transfer Question

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 20 21:31:54 UTC 2016

On 02/19/2016 08:04 PM, John Miller wrote:
> In the case of dynamic updates, one NS record might actually be
> better: there's no worrying about update forwarding between slave and
> master.

It's been my painful experience that (particularly Windows) clients send
dynamic DNS updates to the MNAME listed in the SOA, /NOT/ necessarily
any of the listed NS.  (Unless the MNAME happens to be listed as an NS.)

As such, I don't see any confusion over which of multiple NS dynamic
updates are sent to.

Further, I'd argue that slave NS should be configured to forward updates
to the master (ultimately MNAME).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die