Bind9 on VMWare

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 13 12:44:38 UTC 2016

Am 13.01.2016 um 13:34 schrieb Philippe Maechler:
> I'm not sure if it is a good thing to have physical serves, although we have
> a vmware cluster in both nodes which has enough capacity (ram, cpu, disk)?
> I once read that the vmware boxes have a performance issue with heavy udp
> based services. Did anyone of you face such an issue? Are your dns servers
> all running on physical or virtual boxes?

where did you read that?

we don't run *anything* on physical machines and all our nameservers
(auth, caching with a mix of bind/unbound/rbldnsd) as anything else runs
on top of VMware vSphere 5.5, previously 4.1/5.0 since 2008

there is zero to no justification these days for run anything on bare
metal when you read artciles like
https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/03/virtualized-big-data-faster-bare-metal.html