Bind9 on VMWare

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 13 13:21:32 UTC 2016

first: no idea why you can't just respond to the list instead break
"reply-list" and threading for others where duplicate mail get filtered
and the offlist-reply without headers arrives

Am 13.01.2016 um 14:06 schrieb sthaug at nethelp.no:
>> we don't run *anything* on physical machines and all our nameservers
>> (auth, caching with a mix of bind/unbound/rbldnsd) as anything else runs
>> on top of VMware vSphere 5.5, previously 4.1/5.0 since 2008
>>
>> there is zero to no justification these days for run anything on bare
>> metal when you read artciles like
>> https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/03/virtualized-big-data-faster-bare-metal.html
>
> Complexity?

which complexity?

a virtual guest is less complex because you don't need a ton of daemons
for hardware-monitoring, drivers and what not on the guest

you don't need to maintain high ability in each system
you don't need to maintain monitoring in each system

complex are 30 phyiscal servers instead two fat nodes running a
virtualization cluster with one powerful shared storage

> I see mo particular reason to introduce VMWare when a normal OS on the
> bare metal works just great :-)

* move you bare metal setup online to new hardware
* replace the complete storage online
* run BIOS/firmware updates without downtimes
* make complete backups of your whole servers
* have 10,20,100 backups of the whole servers (OS, config and data)

all that you can't do with bare metal