Bind9 on VMWare

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 13 13:34:59 UTC 2016

Am 13.01.2016 um 13:50 schrieb Ray Bellis:
> On 13/01/2016 12:44, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> where did you read that?
>>
>> we don't run *anything* on physical machines and all our nameservers
>> (auth, caching with a mix of bind/unbound/rbldnsd) as anything else runs
>> on top of VMware vSphere 5.5, previously 4.1/5.0 since 2008
>
> ISTR that some of the Dyn guys presented at DNS-OARC in Warsaw that they
> found substantially worse behaviour running this sort of traffic using
> virtualisation when compared to light-weight containers

*which* virtualization?!

you can't compare a type 1 hypervisor with hosted virtualization

as long as you miss *real numbers* that's worth nothing and one of the
real numbers are your own load

in case of good done virtualization you have slaves on different
physical hosts anyways and so you need to ask yourself first if that
"substantially" is measureable at all for your environment