Bind9 on VMWare

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 13 15:28:23 UTC 2016

Am 13.01.2016 um 16:19 schrieb Lightner, Jeff:
> We chose to do BIND on physical for our externally authoritative servers.
>
> We use Windows DNS for internal.
>
> One thing you should do if you're doing virtual is be sure you don't have your guests running on the same node of a cluster.   If that node fails your DNS is going down.   Ideally if you have multiple VMWare clusters you'd put your guests on separate clusters.

while for sure you should run them on different nodes (except for
upgrades where you move them together to get one machine free of guests
for a short timeframe) a VMware cluster which can be called so has a
feature "VMware HA" which would start the VMs automatically on the other
node after a short period of time (node exploded or isolated from the
network for whatever reason)

it would also restart a crashed guest automatically

https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/features/high-availability

one of the things which is much more harder to implement correctly with
physical setups