What is the use of having a chroot path during installation of Bind

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Thu Jan 14 20:48:28 UTC 2016

Thanks for the advice, Mike.  We chrooted our install because it was
"best practice" security-wise, but from an administration standpoint,
it's been a bit of a headache: for example, you have to keep straight
what goes in /etc and /var/named/chroot/etc, you end up setting a
$BIND_CHROOT environment variable for everyone to keep paths shorts at
the CLI, etc.

I'd recommend _not_ chrooting for internal-only servers: it hasn't
been worth the trouble for us.  For public-facing nameservers, I'd
consider a little more carefully, but with everything running on its
own VM these days, plus SELinux, containers, etc., there are tools out
there that provide at least the security of a chroot environment, and
almost certainly better.  The days of "hardware's expensive; let's run
everything on one box," where a chroot environment might have been
valuable, are _way_ behind us!

John