frequent queries to root servers

HONTVÁRI Levente hontvari at flyordie.com
Tue Jan 26 14:06:43 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I assumed that the root servers are only queried a few times a week
(corresponding to the number of top level domains). The logs show a
different picture, Queries to the root servers are quite frequent. What
am I missing?

I have attached a dnstop screen (local network traffic was filtered
out), after running for about 2 hours. I also attached a log extract
about a single query from 10.0.3.44 resolved by 10.0.3.48, which
involves a query to the root servers. I notice that there is a DS record
query before the root server query, but otherwise I do not see anything
strange.

I have an almost stock Bind 9.9.5 resolver configuration on an Ubuntu
server.

L.