auto-dnssec maintain and DNSKEY removal

Mathew Ian Eis Mathew.Eis at nau.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:30:12 UTC 2016

Thanks for the clarification.

In terms of config options, I assume we are talking about the following:
dnssec-loadkeys-interval (with a default of 60 minutes)
sig-validity-interval (with a default of 30 days)

So…

A new key should be published for at least [sig-validity-interval] before deletion of the old key to allow for sufficient time for the signatures to roll over to the newer key. Presumably anything less may cause a potential extended use of the old key (beyond expiration and possibly even deletion times).

As far as removing the underlying key file, it sounds like the best practice would be to wait until the key has been removed from DNS (after deletion time, but possibly later if other configs are not sane) - plus waiting an additional dnssec-loadkeys-interval before finally removing the underlying file.

With both of the above in place, auto-dnssec maintain should do its thing and not hang onto zombie keys anymore.

Does all of that sound right?

Thanks again,

-Mathew Eis