Danilo mail at dbrgn.ch
Sat Jul 23 13:25:20 UTC 2016

I'm currently in the process of automating the deployment of a DNS
server with Ansible[0]. Ansible allows the creation of so-called
"roles", e.g. I can create a role "blog" that will deploy set up a
database for a blog, install an nginx configuration and then reload the
webserver. A role is supposed to contain all configuration for a logical
unit (e.g. a website or some other service).

What I would like to achieve is to be able to bundle a domain zone with
such a role. The deployment would then copy the zone file to a certain
directory and reload bind.

In Nginx, I can use the include directive as follows:

> include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;

Bind seems to lack an equivalent syntax. That means that even if I copy
a self-contained zone file to the zones directory, I still have to
manually register the zone in the named.conf.local file.

Is there a way to get Bind to automatically include config files in a
directory? If not, might it make sense to place a feature request for
this with the Bind developers? If yes, what would the process be for
such a request? Or is there a better alternative to this approach?

Best,
Danilo

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible_(software)