Overriding TTL per resource-record on slave

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jul 26 06:22:23 UTC 2016

On 25.07.16 22:44, blrmaani wrote:
>We slave a zone and would like to override default TTL for bunch of
> resource-records.  What is the right way to do it?

there's no "default TTL" on recourse records, there's only TTL on resource
records, and the "default TTL" on master server, that uses it for any
resource without explicitly configured TTL.

>For example, here are few records for which we have to customize TTLs:
>
>host1.zone1.com.:
>  default_ttl = 300
>  preferred_ttl = 3600
>
>host2.zone1.com:
>  default_ttl = 300
>  preferred_ttl = 86400

this does not make sense.

>My Idea is to run a dynamic update (nsupdate) wrapper script to update TTL
> entries for desired resource-records on our slave.  Is there a better way
> to achieve this?

your slave will only forward the update to master.

Your description does not make sense, what exactly do you want to achieve?

Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm