ISC considering a change to the BIND open source license

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jun 14 17:10:16 UTC 2016

I disagree with this but who am I to stand in the way of the goddam
almighty dollar, you're going to do it anyway regardless of what anyone
says, this comment thing is just window dressing.

I would request that you consider doing one thing before kicking all
the BSD distributions in the teeth, and that is to at least publish
an End-Of-Patch-Release date for BIND 9.10 so that people running
those distros know how much time they have to get it unbundled - and
make sure the patches to the older version don't "accidentally"
fall under the new license.

I know it would be too much to ask that the resolver library at least
stay under BSD license so I won't even bother.

It's a goddam shame that some commercial a-holes out there have to spoil
it for everyone by not kicking back a few bucks of their
ill-gotten gains to you guys.  All I can say is once you have your
shiny new license I'm going to be mighty POed if you don't sue
the pants off the next one of those companies that uses the BIND code
and effs it up to make an example for the rest of them.   BIND but
without the bugs, indeed!   What rot.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Ted