DNS Service Discovery

David Li dlipubkey at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:07:19 UTC 2016

Hi Warren,

I am aware of DNS-SD and related IETF drafts/RFCs. I also know about
Apple's Bonjour implementation.

We are implementing an enterprise distributed system with many Centos
7 servers. Each server or a group of servers may run a different app
or provide a difference service to others.  These service may come and
go. The challenge is how to use DNS-SD to let them discover each other
dynamically.  We do have DHCP and use Dynamic DNS updates.

Another challenge is we can't use multicast so mDNS is out of the
question.  But I know mDNS is not required. Unicast DNS might just
work.

I have been researching to see what 's out there or what's the common
practice. Though this is a pretty common but so far I haven't turned
up any promising leads. I did find Avahi but not sure if this is one.

Any one has any suggestions?

Thanks.

David