Regarding compiling BIND 9.10.3-p4 on a SystemD Distro

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Mar 23 14:49:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 01:51:58PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:
> >
> > With systemd the methodology isn't that BIND notifies other things that
> > it is up.  It is that other things, if dependent upon BIND, have in
> > their systemd files a requirement that BIND be up before they start.
>
> Yes, but how does systemd know when BIND is up?
>
> (The Red Hat and five-ten-sg RPMs don't seem to have an answer.)

I'm not sure if BIND is set up to support it (and it doesn't appear
that Centos 7 is using it), but the general answer is called "socket
activation":

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activation.html

With socket activation, you don't need explicit dependencies.