Configuring different TTLs in multiple RRs for the same domain name, TYPE, and CLASS

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 24 16:41:46 UTC 2016

Ben Bridges <bbridges at springnet.net> wrote:

> Microsoft wants a short TTL for their Office 365 records, but I would
> prefer to generally use a longer TTL for most records (including other
> TXT records) in order to reduce the query load on our servers.

I gather MS ask for a 1 hour TTL - at least, that is what has been
specified in the requests I have dealt with.

When I changed our TTLs from 24h to 1h last year, it didn't have a visible
effect on authoritative server query load, much to my surprise.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much :-)

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger: Southwest, veering northwest for a
time, 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times. Slight or moderate. Occasional rain.
Good, occasionally poor.