Configuring different TTLs in multiple RRs for the same domain name, TYPE, and CLASS

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 24 22:20:11 UTC 2016

Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:

> > I'm not that surprised - there's definitely not a linear correlation
> > between the TTL of an RRset and how frequently it's queried.
> >
> > Unless your TTL is very short, forced expulsion from cache (due to
> > cache-size limits) would cause many clients to re-query for a record far
> > more frequently than once-per-TTL.
>
> Has anyone ever done any evaluation on this? For average resolvers, what
> is the longest TTL that has any utility?

There was a great paper published 15 years ago describing a study of DNS
cache effectiveness at MIT. http://nms.csail.mit.edu/projects/dns/

It concluded (amongst other things) that NS records (and associated
address records) are really important, but leaf records that users ask for
don't matter so much. (Based on cache hits before TTL expiry, IIRC.)

I don't know of a similar study performed more recently.

https://00f.net/2012/05/10/distribution-of-dns-ttls/ is also interesting.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Westerly, becoming cyclonic later, 6 to gale 8, increasing
severe gale 9 for a time. Moderate or rough, becoming rough or very rough.
Occasional rain, wintry showers for a time. Moderate or good, occasionally
poor.