Build with GEOIP

Olsen, Richard William (Rick) CTR (US) richard.w.olsen.ctr at mail.mil
Fri Mar 25 13:58:51 UTC 2016

I'm trying to configure the GEOIP option in to our bind build. I have the free
GeoIP databases for initial testing. Can anyone point me to a walkthrough or
give me the required steps. I've read the stuff I can find on ISC and it talks
about using the --with-geoip config option and states:

"BIND 9.10's GeoIP features work by allowing you to create ACL elements that
evaluate based on the location information for the client's IP address.  This
uses the API provided by MaxMindR to query their GeoIP database but should
work with any database in a compatible format."

This makes it sound to me like the API for maxmind is built in to the bind
code. What I get when trying to build out the bind "--with-geoip"

Configure: error: GeoIP path not found

so I tried to use " --with-geoip=/var/named/GeoIP"

Path does not exist

Used "--with-geoip=/var/named/chroot/var/named/GeoIP" (created the directory
and put the databases here.)
Now I get

checking GeoIP.h usability... no
checking GeoIP.h presence... no
checking forGeoIP.h... no
configure: error GeoIP header file not found

the build directory for this release has geoip.h in bin/named/include/named

I'm obviously missing some things.