Build with GEOIP

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Mar 25 16:17:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 01:58:51PM +0000, Olsen, Richard William (Rick) CTR (US) wrote:
> "BIND 9.10's GeoIP features work by allowing you to create ACL elements that
> evaluate based on the location information for the client's IP address.  This
> uses the API provided by MaxMindR to query their GeoIP database but should
> work with any database in a compatible format."
>
> This makes it sound to me like the API for maxmind is built in to the bind
> code. What I get when trying to build out the bind "--with-geoip"
>
> Configure: error: GeoIP path not found
>

> so I tried to use " --with-geoip=/var/named/GeoIP"

It needs the path to the libGeoIP library.  On my system that's in
/usr/lib, so --with-geoip=/usr would work.  The configure script knows a
handful of directories to check automatically, though, and /usr is one of
them, so I just use "configure --with-geoip" and that works fine.

You may not have the library installed.  There's probably a package
for your OS, or the source is at https://github.com/maxmind/geoip-api-c.

> the build directory for this release has geoip.h in bin/named/include/named

That file is part of BIND.  Look for GeoIP.h, with the capital letters.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.