Configuring different TTLs in multiple RRs for the same domain name, TYPE, and CLASS

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 25 16:30:27 UTC 2016

> IMHO, memory is so cheap these days that any server that has to eject
> cache entries because of memory limits means the server operator isn't
> really trying to do their job well.

For handling host names, perhaps yes.

But it implies sanity on the part of all apps that your clients use.
App developers can use DNS as a database for any data, and in insanely large amounts.
Examples of things like this have been spam databases, and I vaguely recall
some social network doing something.  A single app could easily
push the DNS much harder, the only capacity limit being the tension between
how much memory DNS operators provide and client demands to support this
otherwise-wonderful app.

John Wobus
Cornell IT