REG: configuring BIND to respond with EDNS client subnet option

Ramachandra Kasyap Marmavula rmarmav at ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:32:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

Request for some help with configuring a BIND DNS server to respond with
EDNS0 client subnet option. I am using the enhanced 'dig' utility available
with the BIND distribution to generate DNS queries with the EDNS0 client
subnet option. I compiled bind with GeoIP and I am trying to use views to
to define the list of IP subnets. Sample configuration from named.conf:

acl "IN" {
        1.6.0.0/15;
        1.22.0.0/15;
        1.38.0.0/15;
        103.24.201.0/24;
};

view "EDNS" {
         match-clients { IN; };
                zone "ecs.test" {
                type master;
                file "/etc/named/zones/myzone.tld.conf";
        };
}

When I send a DNS query with EDNS client subnet option, the server returns
a response without the ECS option (indicating that it doesn't support this
option). Is there some other configuration that I have to enable in
named.conf to get this to work?

Thanks & Regards,
Ramachandra Kasyap