BIND started replying to queries for .com with .COM

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Thu Mar 31 19:58:01 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

When BIND first introduced this Case-Insensitive Response Compression
(See https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01113) I found out that BIND
zone_name case sensitivity in a zone statement is preferred over name
case sensitivity in the zone itself.

So, you can get a google.COM answer because the zone statement at the
authoritative com name server you were talking to is "COM.".

Daniel