'succesful' nsupdate of remote server not persistent across nameserver restart?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun May 1 18:34:59 UTC 2016

On 01/05/16 19:15, jasonsu at mail-central.com wrote:

> On Sun, May 1, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
>>> IIUC, though, a nameserver restart is supposed to force the
>>> write-to-journal immediately, right?
>>
>> No, I don't think so.
>>
>> Perhaps the behaviour in flush-zones-on-shutdown (which defaults
>> to "no") is what you're thinking of?
>>
>> See also "rndc sync".
>
> Well, TBH, I've got different sites saying different things :-/
>
> Sticking with the more reputable resources, e.g. Zytrax, they agree
> with your assessment:

Yeah, but I must own up to never actually having tested this - just now
done so, shutting down named with "rndc stop" did, indeed, write out the
zone.

> My journal's NEVER getting written to the zone files.  Not after 15
> minutes, or several days.  Can't seem to figure out why not.

Days? That surely must be permissions?

As per my other email - attach a strace to the bind process, and run
"rndc sync" / "rndc freeze" to force an immediate write-out - if there's
a permission problem the error should be apparent.

I'd expect to see something in the logs with a permissions issue though...