Maintain task frequency

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Tue May 10 01:34:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, 9 May 2016 17:54:22 -0500, Jorge Alberto Mart?nez Melo
<jorge.martinez at triara.com> wrote:
> Hello bind users,
>
> I am preparing some scripts to maintain some cache dns servers and I am
> thinking about the most appropriate frequency of these tasks:
> - to generate the root hints file (root cache).
> - to clear the cache with rndc flush
> - to generate the stats file with rndc stat
>
> Thank you in advance for your comments
>
> -- jamm

If I interpret your question correctly - here are my answers:

1) root hints - There is nothing you need to do, as BIMD will get
                 the information when it starts, based on the hints
                 that are built into the code.  And the hints information
                 rarely changes.

2) Clear cache - There is no need to clear the cache, as BIND will
                  remove automatically any entry whose TTL has
                  expired.

3) Generating stets - I have no answer for this.  You can generate
                       stats at any interval you want.  The interval
                       might depend upon  how busy the DNS server is.

--Barry Finkel