UDP client handler shuts down, and BIND stops responding

Corby Bennett CorbyB at techheads.com
Tue Nov 1 19:13:28 UTC 2016

I am running BIND 9.11.0x64 on Windows Server 2012 R2, and hosting over 35K zones.  Unfortunately, running on a non-Windows OS is not an option at this time.
Occasionally BIND will stop responding to queries.  The service keeps running.  Query requests are still logged, but responses are never received by the DNS client on the other end.  Restarting the service resolves this until the next time it happens.  This is what I see in my Default.log after the event:

31-Oct-2016 21:45:06.830 general: error: socket.c:2525: unexpected error:
31-Oct-2016 21:45:07.142 general: error: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 234: More data is available.
31-Oct-2016 21:45:07.142 general: error: socket.c:2545: unexpected error:
31-Oct-2016 21:45:07.142 general: error: SOCKET_RECV: Windows error code: 234, returning ISC error 34
31-Oct-2016 21:45:07.142 client: error: UDP client handler shutting down due to fatal receive error: unexpected error

I don't see any messages logged that would indicate anything out of the ordinary happening in BIND.  Right before the first error message there are entries for denied dynamic updates, but that is normal for my environment.  For now, I have implemented a workaround to automatically restart BIND when this problem is detected, but it is a band-aid and I would prefer a real solution.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before that can offer me some guidance in troubleshooting?  Or, have I uncovered a genuine bug that I should submit to ISC?

Thank you,
Corby