Enterprise DNS Architecture - AD and BIND

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Wed Nov 9 01:11:16 UTC 2016

Hi Ray,

I'm not quite sure why you would have your caching servers forward to other DNS servers (Google, OpenDNS, etc).  I would enable recursion on them  and would not forward anything.  I would also consider making these caching servers at each location slave your *internal* authoritative zones (or views) to override recursion.

As you stated, you can keep your AD DNS servers authoritative for your AD domains and point your AD clients directly to these servers.  They can be configured to forward to your BIND environment which performs recursion and resolution for non-AD 'internal' domains/views.  You can also configure your BIND 'internal' caching servers to slave your AD zones as well.

Cheers,

Josh